Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Do you also want to leave?

As a result of this, many of his disciples returned to their former way of life and no longer accompanied him.  

Jesus then said to the Twelve, "Do you also want to leave?"

Simon Peter answered him, "Master, to whom shall we go?  You have the words of eternal life.  We have come to believe and are convinced that you are the Holy One of God."

Friends have asked me about the hundred or so from Ateneo de Manila University who have voiced out their support of the RH Bill now still pending in Congress (I believe for the simple reason I went to school there, under scholarship).  

No sooner could I reply about it in this blog, when the Bishops cautioned those who signed of their obligations and rights under which a university can call itself Catholic, as well as when the president of the university unequivocally wrote that the university remains opposed to the RH Bill, while respecting individual consciences.

I am left to say that I have written many times in this blog about the way some Jesuit schools (or their personnel?) have acted in ways that I find un-Catholic university-esque.  (Hint:  SJ)

I am reminded of last Sunday's gospel passage from St. John above.  If they cannot be Catholic (they are Catholic first before a university, I must say), then by all means,  continue being a university, but please, o please, stopped being Catholic.

No comments: