Sunday, December 19, 2004

Chivalry?

I was in SM CdO Friday evening. After buying what I went to SM for, I decided to take a cab. I was the only one waiting for a ride at the taxi stand, and the wait wasn't that long. A cab had pulled up almost immediately. As the lady was coming out, with me waiting at the sidewalk (I had to face toward another direction, because the lady was someone who must have gone to SM to buy some more cloth for her outfit was a little more wanting ... in cloth). As I thought the lady was conveniently out of view, another lady arrived and would have gotten the cab. For an instant I wanted to fight it out with her (then I remembered Carinne, no more crying ladies!), but I chose not to. But. The security guard stopped her and told her that I was ahead of her. She was sorry (hey I would have given it to her) and said that she did not see me (with my size? she must have been wanting ... of an eye check-up). I really would have given in, but then Mr. Guard said, sige na sir, and another empty cab pulled in behind my cab. Convenient. Still I could have given my cab to her. No good deed yet.
Now comes the nice part. Forgetting the incident altogether, I started my little chit-chat with Mr. cab driver. He could not even start talking when the engine sputtered, the cab ran out of fuel. I had to walk back to the taxi stand, the guard quite surprised to see me back there so soon. The wait wasn't long and I was on my way again. What would have the lady said if I had really given in previously, and she found herself walking back to the taxi stand? I think I did better in the end. Don't you think?

No comments: