Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Ash Wednesday and Chinese New Year

This year these two happen on the same day. My Chinese Catholic friends have asked, what do we do? You have fasting and abstinence because of Ash Wednesday and celebrations because of the Chinese New Year. For those who asked yesterday, I told them that they could "binge" until 11:59 last night. For those who called today, I told them that celebrations did not always mean eating a lot. In any case, we are entitled to three meals today with only one full meal with the two other meals not to equal one full meal. Or of course, we can always have a more sober celebration of Chinese New Year just this year.

Not bad at all. My birthday on the 11th is a Friday of Lent, and so that means also abstinence day. But then it is also the feast of our Lady of Lourdes, so I celebrate with her.

No comments: