Monday, October 09, 2006

Rhett and the smoke detector

Believe it or not? I believe. As I entered the faculty area of my school, I heard that distinctive sound of the smoke detector. True enough. Nope, there wasn't any smoke. The high-pitched beeps one second apart signaled that the battery of the device was nearing its useful life, and needed to be replaced. I got the ladder and took off the smoke detector mounted on the ceiling and got the battery. Filled out a repair slip, and thought nothing of it.

Until I checked my PDA and realized that today was Rhett's birthday. Was, because now he celebrates his birth to Heaven every March 28. Three and a half years ago, Rhett had an aneurysm, and was in a coma for about a month. There were signs that he would have made it through, but God had other plans.

And the connection between Rhett and the smoke detector?

Rhett was an Opus Dei member and attended formation in an Opus Dei center that I help out in. It happened maybe about a year or two before he passed on. One of the smoke detectors had signaled a weak battery. I heard it and Rhett heard it too. He offered to help replace the battery.
So there I was on the ladder, and Rhett holding the ladder to keep it steady. Here was a MAN, who only a few years earlier walked the halls of Malacanang as Presidential Assistant for Visayas of Pres. FVR, and who was "held in high esteem" by many, if not all, holding steady the ladder so I may be able to change the "low-batted" smoke detector.
Rhett was a trustee of my school. He brought many of his friends to the school, to show them what we do. I was extremely proud of Rhett. And I dare say, he is still helping us from Heaven.

Talking of helping, the Gospel passage of today's Mass (Luke 10: 25-37) speaks in the second part of the Good Samaritan who helps a man who "fell victim to robbers as he went down from Jerusalem to Jericho." It's a good day to fill with many acts of charity. Here's another story of charity. The Pennsylvania Amish community who suffered from the murders of and injury to some of its children attended the funeral for gunman Charles Carl Roberts IV.

No comments: