Thursday, October 25, 2007

What's happening SJ?

Some weeks ago, a friend told me he was sorry that my university Alma Mater lost a very important basketball game against that arch-enemy learning institution along Taft Avenue in Manila. I told him I stopped cheering for that team a long time ago, since the last school I attended was UP for my masters -- true UP has not fared well in so many editions of the UAAP basketball tournament -- so I consider myself a UPian.

I will always say Thank You for what my "alma mater" has taught me when I was there. But as I told a friend some years ago, I wasn't really in my element in that campus. Since a high school teacher recommended that I go there, I won a scholarship, and my best friends decided to skip UP if I did, I set myself up to try out the bianco-azzuri.

Not that it is bad in itself, but the "openness" that has been embedded in the minds of students there made me uncomfortable. Still does. Suffice it to say that the "openness" could be very dangerous many times. And to read about certain events (links later in the blog) happening in similar institutions like my alma mater (hint: run by the "same" people) makes me believe my previous statement even more.

Read at your own risk: here, here, here, here, here, and here. (h/t: Cardinal Newman Society)


No comments: