Tuesday, January 25, 2011

"If you don’t come and get me, I’m going to lose my soul."

Here are links to the story of former NY model Leah Darrow who quit modeling and embarked on a journey that advocates for chastity.  “My focus is on helping women be the best they can be,” she said.

from NCR:
Despite the money and notoriety, Darrow was unhappy and tired. It was on one particular modeling shoot for an international magazine that she decided it was time to go home.

She met with the photographer and was given a particularly skimpy outfit to wear. She was embarrassed to put it on, but went ahead, telling herself it was just a job and she had to do it.

As the shoot was nearly complete, she had a mystical experience of sorts, which she called a moment of grace. She pictured herself before God after her death and had nothing to show for her life. 

“I knew that the way I was living, I wasn’t being authentic to my faith,” she said. 

She quit on the spot and went home crying. 

“I called my dad and said, ‘If you don’t come and get me, I’m going to lose my soul,’” she recalled. “He said, ‘Sure, baby’ and drove all the way from St. Louis to New York City to get me.”

from LSN:
“Although not all modeling is bad, much of it is dehumanizing. The dignity of the person is of little importance,” she explained. “You’re just a body. And it’s also very important what parties you go to and who you are with. A lot of people are sad in the industry, although they cover it up. You’re just supposed to do your job, be a professional.”

She says that modesty is not just a question of dressing, but also of discretion in such things as speech and emotions.

“Modesty is more than just the length of a hemline,” she said. “It’s about our conversations, how we treat people, and how we love others. 

“Modesty protects our purity and the mystery of a person. In our society, it gets a bad rap. It’s actually quite attractive.” 
 

No comments: